Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Review! Dangerous Highlander by Donna Grant.


Dangerous Highlander (A Dark Sword Novel)
Donna Grant
St. Martin's Paperbacks
December 29, 2009
ISBN-10: 0312381220
ISBN-13: 978-0312381226

First in a breathtaking new series, the bold and passionate Lucan MacLeod—one of three brothers cursed by dark magic for eternity—is driven by desire for the one woman he dare not let himself possess…
 He is magnificently strong—and dangerously seductive. One of the fiercest of his clan, Lucan MacLeod is a legend among warriors, inspiring fear in man and woman alike. For three hundred years, he has locked himself away from the world, hiding the vengeful god imprisoned in his soul. But then, a young lass caught in a raging storm awakens his deepest impulses…and darkest desires.
 Cara doesn’t believe the rumors about MacLeod castle—until the majestic Highland warrior appears like a fiery vision in the storm, pulling her into his powerful arms, and into his world of magic and Druids. An epic war between good and evil is brewing. And Lucan must battle his all-consuming attraction for Cara—or surrender to the flames of a reckless, impossible love that threatens to destroy them both...
I have to start by saying that I can count in one hand the number of Historical Romances I've ever read so needless to say, I very rarely read these books. However, when I first read the blurb for Dangerous Highlander, it immediately called to me, it just sounded so good I couldn't pass it up and I'm so glad I didn't. Lucan is cursed, he has a god inside of him that at any moment can turn him into a monster. As such, he and his brothers, Fallon and Quinn, who also are cursed, have been hiding in a half-crumbling ruined castle for hundreds of years.

Cara lost her parents when she was a little girl and since then has lived in a nunnery in this little village. She's always felt disconnected from everyone else, even the nice nuns who took her in. Especially because everyone thinks the castle at the edge of the sea is haunted and she's never believed that. Until one day she gets caught in a raging storm and right before she almost falls over the edge to the rolling waves below, someone saves her. Turns out that someone is Lucan MacLeod.

From the beginning, Lucan and Cara feel this incredible attraction to each other that soon becomes hard to resist. But the thing is, Lucan and his brothers are in a middle of war and are being hunted by a witch and Cara could be in danger, and not just because of being close to Lucan. But he's willing to do anything to keep her safe and that could very well mean his death.

Dangerous Highlander is an absolutely must read! From beginning to end, it's an incredible ride. Lucan and Cara's chemistry just comes right off the page and I loved reading every word. I found myself thinking about the book even when I wasn't reading it. But it's not only Lucan and Cara, Fallon and Quinn are amazing characters on their own, as well. I felt so heartbroken about Quinn's misery and Fallon's fear but I just fell in love with Lucan. He was so caring about Cara and willing to do anything to protect her.

I really liked the plot being the brothers being cursed. They have this god inside of them that make them immortal and way stronger than a simple human. Whenever a warrior lets a certain god out, he sort of takes the characteristic of that god. For example, Lucan has part of the god of vengeance in him so when he lets him out, his skin turns black as night and his fingers into claws. This happens to every warrior that has a god in him. I thought that was really original and engaging.

All-in-all, I loved reading Dangerous Highlander. It's got everything - hot steamy loving, a great plot and wonderful characters. I'm so glad that I took a chance out of my comfort zone because it completely paid out and I can't wait to read the next Dark Sword Novel!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the great review!

I was looking at the Highlander books in the bookstore a few days ago...and again today, and was SO tempted to buy them.

Now, they will be next on my list. I love historicals, so I am sure I will love them!

The Queen B said...

I like the cover ;)

Sophia (FV) said...

Gosh I'm so shocked to see such a positive review after all the Highlander bashing you've been doing on twitter lately. :P Seriously, I've got to find time to read this one. It looks so good!! xoxo

Mandi said...

THis one sounds great - I love a story like this!

Marissa said...

I love Highlanders, I love historicals, I have to have this one! Great review

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love his belly and kilt ;)

Enchanted by Books said...

You made this book sound so good that I am tempted to check it out now!

Brenda Hyde said...

Well, maybe I'll have to take a chance too. I haven't read any books with Highlander in the title. LOL No reason, I just usually go for urban fantasy, but this sound yummy, I mean good.

He can Chapter-32 me anytime!

Bones is Mine