Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Review! Confessions of a Demon by S.L. Wright


Confessions of a Demon
S.L. Wright
Roc
December 1, 2009
ISBN-10: 0451462327 
ISBN-13: 978-0451462329

After accidentally stealing the life force of a dying demon, Allay became the only human-demon hybrid in existence. Demons feed on human emotions, so Allay decided the safest way to satisfy this need-and still retain some semblance of her humanity-was to open a bar. Here she can drink from, and ease, her patrons' pain, which has helped her to stay under the demon radar...until now. 
When Allay is attacked and nearly killed by another demon, a human comes to her rescue. Theo Ram is tall, handsome, and mortal-and Allay feels a connection to him she didn't think she'd ever know. But that bond is tested when the demon community in New York begins to rise up, and two opposing clans fight for power. Now Allay is caught in the middle, and she must decide where her loyalties lie.

Years ago, Allay stole a demon's essence and due to that, she became the first human-demon hybrid ever. Now, she steals emotions off humans, that's her substance. Most specifically, she steals relief, hence the name, by just a simple touch. Her job as a bartender at the Den on C is pretty much perfect for what she must feed off. So far, Allay has managed to stay off the other demons' radar, she tries to keep her interaction with them as few as possible because some of those demons would gladly steal her life force.

No matter how cautious Allay is, she's soon attacked by a demon right in front of her bar. The only thing that saved her was a human named Theo Ram who suddenly showed up and got the demon, named Pigue, to get away. Theo's insanely hot and Allay feels attracted to him, and believe me, Theo's got the hots for her too.

However, before Allay and Theo can further explore their feelings, something is going on in the demon world and Allay soon finds herself right in the thick of it and if she doesn't choose a side - and fast - she might not get a chance to get to know Theo at all.

Confessions of a Demon is a exciting Urban Fantasy story unlike any I've ever read! Allay is very strong, kick-ass heroine and  I easily found myself rooting for her. I felt that plot about demons that are named after the emotions that is their substance was awesome, like there was Shock, Glory, Vex, and tons more! I really loved this and it's incredibly original. A great set of characters combined with a riveting plot makes Confessions of a Demon a must read and I can't wait to read more of Wright's future books!

6 comments:

Smokinhotbooks said...

Demons after emotion you say? Kick ass heroines? Can you tell I'm excited!

Mandi said...

I've never heard of this author but it sounds like something I would like. Nice review :)

Unknown said...

Author is also know as Susan Wright. I just added this book to my wish list. Your review as intrigued me so much that I will try some of her other too. Thank you for sharing!

Jax said...

I am anxious to read this book as well.

Enchanted by Books said...

Wow awesome review! I SO want this book now!!

Unknown said...

It was a great book

He can Chapter-32 me anytime!

Bones is Mine