Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thoughts on Dancing with Werewolves by Carole Nelson Douglas.

I started Dancing with Werewolves with high hopes. The premise sounded really good:
It was the revelation of the millennium: witches, werewolves, vampires and other supernaturals are real. Fast-forward 13 years: TV reporter Delilah Street used to cover the small-town bogeyman beat back in Kansas, but now, in high-octane Las Vegas - which is run by a werewolf mob - she finds herself holding back the gates of Hell itself. But at least she has a hot new guy and one big bad wolfhound to help her out...


I'm a big Urban Fantasy fan so it all seem to click. Yet, from the beginning, there was just something about the main character that didn't click with me. I don't know how to describe it. Sure, there were parts that I liked but I still didn't found myself caring about what was going on at all. There are some interesting secondary characters, but when, the dog in the story is more interesting than the main character, that's a bit of a problem. The whole thing behind the movie stars "coming back to life" is interesting - if only, it was explained a bit more in depth - but I kept having this "meh" feeling over the story. I made through more than a third of the story before I just put it aside.

I'm not sure if I'm going to back to it and finish it. Thing is, I hate not finishing a story because it's like I'm not giving it a chance but really, about a quarter left and I'm still "meh" over it? Not a good sign.

I thought it was me in a reading funk but then I had no trouble starting - and devouring! - another book so it's not me being picky. I'll probably give it another chance, though. I mean, if I read most of it, I might as well finish it, right?

4 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I feel ya lady! Let me know if you ever finish it.

Alexia561 said...

Sometimes a book just doesn't grab you for whatever reason. Maybe you aren't in the mood, are in a book funk, or you just don't care for the characters.

I kinda remember reading this and thought it was okay, but I've put aside other books that had rave reviews.

Have to go with what you like and if it's still meh after 50 or so pages, stop reading. There are too many other books out there to waste time on books you can't get into!

SusiSunshine said...

I totally agree with Alexia. Sometimes I just put a book away for while when I don't seem to touch me and start it again another time. I have this problem with Terry Pratchett books. Sometimes I hate them his book and then I start it again a few month later and I love it. I'm very moody this way.

Wendy said...

Thanks, guys!

If I keep passing it along, I probably won't go back to it. Thank god it's not for reviewing!

He can Chapter-32 me anytime!

Bones is Mine