Monday, August 31, 2009

Review: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Soulstice (The Devouring, book 2)
Simon Holt
Little Brown Young Readers
September 1, 2009
ISBN-10: 0316035718

The terrifying, nail-biting, and grossly intriguing sequel to
The Devouring.

It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.

The battle against evil continues in Soulstice, the second book in the thrilling The Devouring series, which School Library Journal called, "Comparable to books by R. L. Stine and Stephen King....A must-have for horror fans."
I had not read the previous book, the Devouring, before and I was a bit wary of reading this one because I didn't want to be completely lost but what the hell, why not try? And I'm so glad I did! I wasn't lost at all because there was enough back story for things to make sense, the plot is simple yet it's deliciously misleading and the ending rocked. It left me wanted to read the next book right now! Reggie and Aaron are great characters. They're best friends trying to fight the Vours, which are demonic beings that steal people's bodies on Sorry Night.

Although I really did like the good guys, I was totally smitten by the "bad" guy Mitch. Hello, cutie! In a horribly-disfigured-evil-demonic-possessed kind of way. Yeah. He totally stole the story for me and I really, really hope the future books in the wonderfully original series feature him because I will certainly be reading them!

I devoured Soulstice in one setting. It's a great horror YA story, although I can't really say it scared me. Maybe some parts made me go Ooooh (one of which was the Mitch and Reggie part. Heh heh) but didn't make me be scare of the dark. It's still a great story that everyone who's looking for a very good plot with some great characters, including a very awesome bad guy, should read!

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review.
Good to know you don't have to read the first one.

Janicu said...

I'm so glad you liked it (and reviewed it)! Devoured in one sitting, that's great. :)

He can Chapter-32 me anytime!

Bones is Mine